Tuesday 16 April 2013

Thatcher – the conviction politician who divided the nation

I have thought long and hard about writing this because it seems people do lose perspective when reading about the late Baroness Thatcher.

So let me make some points at the very outset, I disagree with a lot of what Thatcher did in this country, I grew up in the 80s and saw how she polarised opinion even then.

Many people my age probably saw their mothers and fathers express strong opinions about Thatcher and refuse to ever vote Conservative as a result.

Although I do read all the manifestos at election time, I haven’t voted Conservative since I was allowed to vote and I suspect a lot of that is deep down I still don’t trust the party.

She divided the nation and the originator of divide and rule politics, pitting poor against rich, unions against bosses and even her own MPs against each other.

Thatcher also brought in the poll tax, something which the Conservatives may still be paying the price for even now.

And in the end, it was she who cost herself the top job in British politics by waging war against people in her own party, she was amazed when they then turned the knife on her!

All that being said, I won’t celebrate her death, buy a silly little song or protest against a woman who ceased to have direct influence on Britain 23 years before her death.

To celebrate any death is vulgar, at the end of the day, whatever your opinion of her, her life has now passed.

The protest song buying is ridiculous, at the end of day we can never complain our music charts are not relevant again when we ourselves abuse the system with stupid little stunts like this.

And finally, protests! Two problems , one the woman was Prime Minister in 1990 and has had no direct control on British life since then.

Secondly, some of those protesting over the weekend were not even born when Baroness Thatcher LEFT office!

As I said, did not like the woman, did not like her politics or policies but the fact is I would sooner have her back as Prime Minister than the current PM.

Whether it was right or wrong decision, Thatcher stood by it and that deserves respect. Are you really saying you prefer the u-turning Cameron to the lady who was not for turning?

Secondly, she died as still the only female British Prime Minister in the long history of this little island.

Rather than protest after her demise shouldn’t we look at the reasons why she still held that record two decades after she left office?

She is buried tomorrow, we as a nation should move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment